The next big Man Utd move? Portuguese press say £68million bid needed to get deal done

MANCHESTER UNITED need to cough up £68m if they want to snare Eder Militao, reports in Portugal claim.

The 20-year-old Porto ace is hot property this month.

United are keen to bolster their defensive ranks and Militao is emerging as a top target, with reports in Portugal claiming the Red Devils have scouted the defender on numerous occasions.

Despite his relative youth, the talented centre-back has already racked up 78 professional appearances.

With Europe’s elite casting admiring glances, the Portuguese giants have slapped a hefty price tag on his head.

O Jogo claim it will take at least £68m for Porto to consider selling their prized asset.

Sunday Times journalist Duncan Castles says Militao’s official release clause is lower than Porto’s ambitious valuation though.

“Militao’s got a €50million [45m] release clause, which is considered to be quite low given how well he’s done in his first half-season in European football,” Castles told the Transfer Window podcast.

“Manchester United remain interested in him, he was a player that Jose Mourinho proposed as an alternative to [Kalidou] Koulibaly.

“Mourinho obviously wanted an experienced, ready-made defender but said to the club: ‘If you want to do a younger player, this is the one I recommend.’”

United might face stiff competition for his signature though.

Their Premier League rivals, Chelsea, are also sniffing around.

Castles added: “I think Chelsea are also interested and Chelsea have a good relationship with some of the player’s representatives, which might help facilitate a move, and I think Real Madrid are also interested in him at present.

“So let’s see if it happens in January, but I would definitely have money on him leaving Porto before the start of next season.”

United already have two expensive young centre-back int their books.

Mourinho spent in excess of £60m on Victor Lindelof and Eric Bailly.

Castles reckons Militao is worth a major investment though.

“They like his speed, they like the simplicity of his game, they like his physique and it seems clear that he won’t be much longer at Porto,” said Castles.

“If it doesn’t happen in this window, I would expect it to happen in the summer for sure barring a very bad injury on the part of the player.

“He’s a player who’s been scouted by top clubs in Europe last summer, but Porto had been prepared to take him out of Sao Paolo and obviously the top clubs have continued to scout him.

“They’re now watching him play Champions League players and play for Porto at the top of the Portuguese League.

“And they like even more what they see now he’s in Europe, he’s taken that step, he’s entered that adaptation process which can be quite difficult for South Americans.”